Networker

Re: [Networker] mail notifications error: cannot save rejected email anywhere

2007-11-05 16:47:49
Subject: Re: [Networker] mail notifications error: cannot save rejected email anywhere
From: A Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2007 21:42:01 +0000
On Mon, Nov 05, 2007 at 03:58:21PM -0500, Janine Carlson wrote:
> I'm running Networker 7.4 on a Solaris 10 box.  I am able to send mail to my
> external address using the command line "sendmail -v -Am me AT myplace DOT
> com" and
> typing in the body of the text from the Solaris box.  I have a sendmail.cf
> file configured.
>
> The default command "/usr/bin/mail -s 'subject' me AT myplace DOT com" in the
> Networker Notifications doesn't send an email message and I get the
> following in the messages file:  "savemail: cannot save rejected email
> anywhere"

The configuration of your mail settings (via either mail or sendmail) is
beyond the scope of networker.  It simply expects that you've got
something that can send text email.

That said, /bin/mail on Solaris is not similar to 'mail' on other
systems (in particular, -s is not a flag to give a subject).  You may
want to use 'mailx' instead.  Please see the man pages on both.

> I don't understand what I should enter in the command line for the
> notifications.  Should I use sendmail, not mail? What is the difference
> between the two programs?  what options should I specify?

Use whatever works.  Networker will "run" the notification line, and
will pass the completion data to that program on STDIN.