Networker

Re: [Networker] VTL or disk cabinet backup

2007-11-05 01:07:29
Subject: Re: [Networker] VTL or disk cabinet backup
From: Craig Faller <craig.faller AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2007 00:53:43 -0500
Please be aware that De-duplication is relative to your Rate of Change
(ROC), if your daily ROC is high, then your Dedup ratio's will uselessly
low and in most cases waste of money. Some VTL vendors state ratios such
as 18:1 and higher, but this is only if your ROC is around 5% and lower.
If your ROC was around 25% your not going to get any better than 5:1 Dedup
or lower which for the money invested could have been better spent on more
disk capacity.

please work out your ROC in your solution design to then be able to
identify the best path to take. Like all technology out there, its only
good in the right environment. if your happy with a 5:1 dedup due to a
high ROC, and have the storage capacity then by all means go for it, but
knowing this before going down that path is better than finding out
afterwards.