Networker

Re: [Networker] Querying tapes in the library

2007-10-29 14:00:10
Subject: Re: [Networker] Querying tapes in the library
From: Dave Mussulman <mussulma AT UIUC DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 12:52:21 -0500
On Thu, Oct 25, 2007 at 03:09:04PM -0500, Fazil Saiyed wrote:
> Hello
> Dave, this are very impressive array of scripts, i probably, need lot of
> instructions on how to put them in use, will they work in Windows
> Environment, do i need to install perl, can they run from Networker client
> ? vs server ? Any performance impact or negatives on the server ?
> What is the best way to customize and deploy them ?
> Great work

Thanks.  The scripts aren't really packaged to plug/play in other
environments, and they're really not very well documented.  They're more
of an online reference for how one Networker admin (me) does things.
They'll require some perl or shell knowledge to tailor to your
environment.  Almost all of them just report things -- only a few
actually change a server state, but it's important to read and
understand them before running them.  (I've been known to put parse
errors or exit statements at the top of scripts just so people do that.)

Most of them run from a linux client with admin rights on
the server, but a few are triggered from notifications or other places
around the server (also linux.)  The scripts that are online are pretty
simple, all things considered, and probably could be adapted to Windows
and ActivePerl or cygwin.  The more complicated ones access more of our
databases and internal structures and that's why they're not up there.
(Although I have a perl library for parsing nsradmin and mminfo data
that's probably worth posting.  I'll see if I can clean that up and get
it online.)

Dave