Networker

[Networker] Fulls versus incrementals and inodes?

2007-10-24 18:01:00
Subject: [Networker] Fulls versus incrementals and inodes?
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 17:56:44 -0400
If a given save set has a large number of files, say many tiny files, does this affect the time it will take a full to start running?

I guess where I'm going with this is that I'm trying to understand how Legato is affected by a large number of inodes and in what way. For example, I have this directory that takes hours to run a 'du' command on because it has a huge number of files, but it's only about 700 GB, but I might have another path that's over 1 TB, and it only takes 5 minutes to run a 'du'. Just curious what an incremental does before it actually starts backing up any data versus what a full would do. Obviously, both will update the client's index while the data is being backed up, so if the save set has a lot of files then the full backup will force the index to grow even larger, but it seems that while the full will undoubtedly cause the index to grow larger than the incremental, I would think the incremental would take longer to figure out what, if anything, needs to be backed up since it has to read the index from the last backup and traverse the inode information on the data path to determine what to actually back up, right? What about a full?

Thanks.

george

--
George Sinclair - NOAA/NESDIS/National Oceanographic Data Center
SSMC3 4th Floor Rm 4145       | Voice: (301) 713-3284 x210