Networker

[Networker] Problem with NDMP devices

2007-10-19 12:44:58
Subject: [Networker] Problem with NDMP devices
From: Stan Horwitz <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 12:31:50 -0400
As you may recall, I wrote to this list seeking assistance with reviving my failed NetWorker 7.4 Solaris 9 server. I initially had a situation where after doing an mmrecov, the local tape library and all its devices were duplicated in the devices and storage nodes resource lists. Thanks to Conrad Macinina, I learned how to delete the resources, which allowed me to use jbconfig to recreate them properly. That's fixed and I ran lots of successful backups last night, except for NDMP clients.

My tape library is connected to my backup server via fiber channel. We have five of 14 tape drives in it allocated to NDMP backups, which we do over our network. The NDMP clients are not connected to the tape library. When I created the tape library again using jbconfig, I specified devices in the format rd=hostname/dev/rmt/xcbn (this is Solaris 9). I see in the documentation it says to specify "(NDMP)" but I didn't do that. The jbconfig utility came up and asked me if the device was NDMP and I replied in the affirmative. I provided the same userid and password that I previously used.

When I look at each NDMP tape resource, it says its NDMP and it looks fine as far as the configuration goes. Unfortunately, any time I try to load or label a tape in either of those 5 drives, I get an "unknown error" and also after a few minutes, and error about a communications problem.

I don't think that not providing the "(NDMP)" string would make a difference, especially since I didn't have that prior to this server failure, so I am wondering if that is indeed the cause of this problem or if its something else. If any of you who are running NetWorker 7.4 with NDMP backups has any ideas to share, please let me know. I have a case open with EMC about this, but I am still waiting for assistance. At first, I thought it was because I mistyped the userid in the storage node resource, but correcting it didn't fix the problem.

--
Stan Horwitz
Temple University

CONFIDENTIALITY STATEMENT: The information contained in this e-mail, including attachments, is the confidential information of, and/or is the property of, Temple University. The information is intended for use solely by the individual or entity named in the e-mail. If you are not an intended recipient or you received this in error, then any review, printing, copying, or distribution of any such information is prohibited. Please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and then delete this e-mail from your system.