Networker

Re: [Networker] Problem with mmrecov after /nsr array failure

2007-10-18 12:32:14
Subject: Re: [Networker] Problem with mmrecov after /nsr array failure
From: Stan Horwitz <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 12:27:31 -0400
On Oct 18, 2007, at 8:56 AM, Stan Horwitz wrote:

Conrad; I went through this procedure and it worked, but its not quite right. I need to assign five of the 14 tape drives for NDMP and both the GUI and nsradmin say that the NDMP button in the tape resource is read only and cannot be changed. When I ran jbconfig, it asked if any of the devices were for NDMP and I said yet, but it never prompted me for the storage node name, password, and other info.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?

I figured it out. In 7.4, the jbconfig utility works differently than 7.2.1. With 7.4, jbconfig never prompted me for the NDMP drive details. I was wrong to assume a prompt would appear. What I did was repeat Conrad's process a second time, but then when I got to the devices that we use for NDMP backups, I had to change the path from the default to the NDMP style path. For example, for my first NDMP drive, I had to change /dev/rmt/5cbn to hostname:/dev/rmt/5cbn. As soon as I did that, it asked me if it was for NDMP. I responded in the affirmative, then jbconfig prompted me to enter the password.

Also, since I have tape pools set up with drive assignments, I had to go through all my tape pools and deassign them before I could delete the devices. In 7.4, when you do three way NDMP backups on your NetWorker server, it also creates a storage node resource for the entire tape library. I discovered that this storage node resource was also duplicated, so I deleted the duplicates before I ran jbconfig a second time.

Unfortunately, after I did all this stuff, the tape library resource lost its connection to the media database, so I am in the process of inventorying all 751 tapes. That process has a ways to go. I am having trouble where a tape gets inventories in one of the NDMP devices; it reports communcaitions errors, so I am doing a reset now and I will disable those drives until the inventory is done. Otherwise, tapes are mounting in the other devices now to be read. I also discovered that I had to reconfigure the timer settings in the tape library resource because I started to see communications errors. As soon as I increased the timer settings by 20 seconds, the errors went away and the inventory proceeded smoothly.