Networker

[Networker] Can slow client backups cause nsrd to hang?

2007-10-10 07:23:17
Subject: [Networker] Can slow client backups cause nsrd to hang?
From: mark wragge <mark_t_wragge AT YAHOO DOT IE>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 12:17:19 +0100
Hi, I have recently added 11 new clients to a backup group. After testing these
clients we found them to be very slow - about 45mb/s indicating a 10mb network
connection. Our intention is to confgure the 100mb network card to 100mb full
duplex and this card is for backup purposes only. Even though the speed was
slow i let the backups run as I wanted to prove that the clients would backup
successfully.

  On the night that the backup ran nsrd hung a few hours into the backup. Other
backup groups were also running. Nsrd hung a few nights in a row and since
removing this group nsrd has not hung.

  Is it possible that nsrd hung becasue these new clients were so slow or is
there some other factor causing the nsrd failure? We know that nsrd has hung as
we have an error reported in the daemon.log and lose connectivity to the
management interface.

  Networker is 7.3.2 jumbo 11 on Solaris server and Solaris Clients.

  Thanks for any feedback!