Networker

Re: [Networker] Not suppressing output of a job

2007-10-10 03:38:02
Subject: Re: [Networker] Not suppressing output of a job
From: Will Parsons <w.parsons AT LEEDS.AC DOT UK>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 08:33:30 +0100
Sorry folk, but this one is a "Documented feature":

=======
7.4 multiplatform release notes, page 80

NO_SUPRESS option no longer supported
The EMC NetWorker Command Reference Guide and the savegrp man page
incorrectly identify the NO_SUPRESS option as supported. In NetWorker software
release 7.3.x and later, savegroup does not support the NO_SUPPRESS option.
=======

The only reason I can see that they might have removed this is to stop people performing denial of service attacks on themselves by setting the "backup command" on a large client to "save -v". Yes, I've done it, and it can kill your server BUT, I think the functionality of being able to review the output of save/savepnpc/custom save commands is very well worth the risk.

If this functionality stays gone, then I may have to re-work an awful lot of custom save scripts to e-mail their output to the sys-admins independently of Networker notifications. Twice as much to maintain!

Does anyone know if an RFE has been logged to put the functionality back in yet??

From
Will