Networker

Re: [Networker] excluding directories when using ndmp

2007-10-09 06:03:35
Subject: Re: [Networker] excluding directories when using ndmp
From: Yaron Zabary <yaron AT ARISTO.TAU.AC DOT IL>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2007 11:59:29 +0200
Vernon Harris wrote:
What's the best way to exclude directories when using ndmp???

Since the backup is done by running some dump process on the filer, it really depends on what it can do.

With our NetApps (7.x), we started with having an EXCLUDE variable, but this is not such a great approach, because the ndmp backup process that runs on the filer is using the content of the EXCLUDE as a regular expression for files to be excluded from the backup. This means that if you have EXCLUDE=Dir1 and you also have some file in some directory with that name, it will also be excluded from the backup. Eventually, I asked our NetApp admin to create a different volume (or maybe it was just a qtree) in which we put files that should not be backed up (usually iSCSI luns and xen images). Naturally, we stopped using the saveset=All attribute in the client object and are now specifying those volumes we want to backup.

We also approached NetApp about this issue, but couldn't get a better answer.

-- Yaron.