Networker

Re: [Networker] Adequate server hardware to feed 3-4 LTO3 drives

2007-10-05 14:44:08
Subject: Re: [Networker] Adequate server hardware to feed 3-4 LTO3 drives
From: Matthew Huff <mhuff AT OX DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2007 14:38:39 -0400
I'd recommend Solaris over Linux for the backup server, but I'd go x86
rather than Sparc

http://www.sun.com/servers/x64/x4600/

Having 6 PCI-Express slots is a big win. For a little less than 20k
(less with better discounts), you get 4 x dual-core AMD 8222 Opteron,
16GB ram, 2 x 146GB drives, 4 x 10/100/1000 ethernet cards, 4 x PS and
upgradable to 8 x dual-cores.

With a Qlogic QLE2460 with 4GB hits 800MBps max rate, and a LTO-3 is
rated at 68 MBpbs or (8 x 68 = 544Mbps) so I'd use a dedicated fiber
card for each.

----
Matthew Huff       | One Manhattanville Rd
OTA Management LLC | Purchase, NY 10577
www.otaotr.com     | Phone: 914-460-4039
aim: matthewbhuff  | Fax:   914-460-4139