Networker

[Networker] Cloning operation of SQL server not seeming to end under 7.4 for Windows

2007-10-04 09:09:43
Subject: [Networker] Cloning operation of SQL server not seeming to end under 7.4 for Windows
From: MIchael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2007 09:05:08 -0400
OK, so in furtherance of my problems I posted about yesterday (where my
SQL backup was failing), we upgraded the server to the latest 7.4 for
Windows (from 7.3.2.jumbo), and that one storage node to 7.4, along with
the latest 5.1 SQL agent (I realize agent is probably the wrong term). We
also rebooted the storage node.

And the cloning job seems to have not finished. I say seems, since the
monitoring screen says it's still running (I have the cloning icon on that
group). Yet if I show details about that group, it shows 100% complete.
There are no devices still listing as currently running, and all saveset
entries are in the "Completed successfully", with nothing in the "Failed:"
window.

The SQL agent log on the storage node says it finished at 8:40 PM last
night. (BTW, I hate the way I have to use the "nsr_render_log" viewer to
see the logs now; it was a lot easier for me to just open them with the
text editor of my choice. But I digress ...)

I have plenty of free space on my disk folder (955G; it's a folder on the
SAN); I have plenty of unused tapes in the pool (all showing 0%
appendable). It appears that NetWorker wrote everything to disk, but then
never cloned anything to tape.

We then manually stopped the cloning job. In checking the "Media",
"SaveSets", for that group, I see that it finished writing to disk. But it
never seemed to write to tape (there are no tape volumes listed under any
of the ssids, only disks).

We then started a script to manually clone it (using nsrclone -v -s -b
PHACLONE ). It doesn't seem to be doing anything, either - I see no tapes
being loaded, etc.

Any ideas? Upgrading to the latest client and SQL agent seems to have let
the backup part of this clone job finish, but instead it brokle the
cloning to tape portion. The other cloning jobs (all using older clients
and SQL agents apparently are continuing to work just fine (writes to
disk, and then to tape).

--
Michael Leone
Network Administrator, ISM