Networker

Re: [Networker] Cloning a set of volumes?

2007-10-03 18:31:38
Subject: Re: [Networker] Cloning a set of volumes?
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2007 18:25:32 -0400
Ah, yes, simply break the cloning down into two steps with the last one handling the ssids that are not unique (i.e. span two or more tapes). Eureka! Or rather, Sheesh! Why didn't I think of that?! Oh, my. Thanks, guys. :-[

As Tim says, I'll have to craft a script to create my lists with the ssids organized by volume with no overlap. Guess I can use either 'uniq -c' as Yaron pointed out or 'sumflags' or just '-v' and something like egrep 'cb|cr'.

George

Tim Mooney wrote:
In regard to: Re: [Networker] Cloning a set of volumes?, Yaron Zabary said...:

George Sinclair wrote:
Is there a reasonably straightforward way to generate the two separate volume lists such that the order of the volumes listed will minimize the likelihood that one nsrclone process would request a tape being read by the other?

It would require a little scripting, but it could be done.

I don't really see how you can do that by volume, as the volume itself does not provide any information regarding save sets which might span several volumes.

I'm not following you Yaron. The volume doesn't provide any information
about savesets. The media database provides the information that
George needs, though.

You could a command similar to below to tell which are those save-sets which do not span over multiple volumes and treat them differently:

# ( mminfo -q volume=000001 -r ssid ; mminfo -q volume=000002 -r ssid ) | sort| uniq -c

Or you could just use the '-v' flag with mminfo, and look at the flags it
adds to the report. From the mminfo man page, describing the -v flag:

The first flag indicates which part of the save set is on the
volume. When the save is completely contained on the volume, a c is
displayed. An h is displayed when the save set spans volumes and
the head is contained on this volume. The remaining sections will
be on other volumes. An m is displayed when the save set spans
volumes and a middle section is contained on this volume. The head
and tail sections will be on different volumes. There may be more
than one middle section. A t is displayed when the tail section
of a spanning save set is contained on this volume. Again, the
other sections will be on other volumes.

George's script is still going to require some logic for how to divide
up the volumes into "buckets" with no overlap, but that problem shouldn't
be too bad.

Tim

--
George Sinclair - NOAA/NESDIS/National Oceanographic Data Center
SSMC3 4th Floor Rm 4145       | Voice: (301) 713-3284 x210