Networker

Re: [Networker] NetWorker 7.4 and NDMP

2007-09-13 16:14:04
Subject: Re: [Networker] NetWorker 7.4 and NDMP
From: Stan Horwitz <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 16:09:06 -0400
On Sep 13, 2007, at 10:47 AM, Stan Horwitz wrote:

I upgraded from NetWorker 7.2.1 to 7.4 server on a Solaris 9 server yesterday. This is on a Solaris 9 box. I have five tape drives of 14 in the server's tape library set up as NDMP devices. Since this upgrade, labeling tapes in the NDMP devices generates an unknown error, even with added verbosity on an "nsrjb" command.

Has anyone else experienced this situation? I have a severity 1 case open with EMC about this situation now.

Thanks to the help of Rajesh from EMC, it looks like NetWorker 7.4 is able to do NDMP backups for me! Phew!

I was just about to remove NetWorker 7.4 and downgrade to 7.3.3 when an EMC technical support technician phoned me. Thanks to Rajesh and WebEx, I learned about a new feature in 7.4. I learned that ...

"Unknown error"

means "Yo! You are using the wrong NDMP password!"

Shees! With NDMP devices in 7.2.1, the root password and userid that controls those devices are stored within each NDMP tape drive resource. Those fields are still present in 7.4, and when I checked, they still had information in them. As it turns out, those device resource passwords are ignored with 7.4. The real NDMP userid and password now go into a new section of the storage node resource. Once I put the userid and password into the new storage node resource's fields and reset the tape library, everything started work! My smallest NDMP server just finished being backed up. Some other non- NDMP servers are also being backed up now!

I still have two remaining issues to deal with. The first being to see if I can get automated tape cleaning to work again and the second being the truncated savegroup reports that have been discussed on this list. Yes, my savegroup reports are being truncated.

For now, I have disabled tape cleaning on NetWorker and the PetaSite.

I will work on both issues tomorrow, then start doing restores to make sure that I can actually get data back from tape when the need arises.