Networker

[Networker] Mixed LTO tapes in a library

2007-08-24 07:58:04
Subject: [Networker] Mixed LTO tapes in a library
From: John Hope-Bailie <johnhb AT CHANNELDATA.CO DOT ZA>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2007 13:51:57 +0200
We have a situation where there are numerous LTO-2 tapes exist with
historical backups.

We now intend to upgrade all of the tape drives in the library to LTO-3.

We would use LTO-3 media for new backups, but would need to recover off
older media.

As I understand it, the new tape drives would be defined within
NetWorker as LTO Ultrium-3.

This would cause all of the new media to also be defined as media type
LTO Ultrium-3 as it is labelled.

This would also prevent any of the old tapes defined as media type LTO
Ultrium-2 from being loaded into the new drives, although physically,
the tape drives could read and write to this media.

Do I understand it correctly ?   Is there any workaround / compromise ?

Thanks,

John Hope-Bailie