Networker

Re: [Networker] new to Virtual Tape Library - what are the benefits?

2007-08-23 17:22:38
Subject: Re: [Networker] new to Virtual Tape Library - what are the benefits?
From: Curtis Preston <cpreston AT GLASSHOUSE DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 17:18:49 -0400
In a multi-storage-node environment, you will need to do a lot of
provisioning and management that you simply don't have to do in the VTL
world.  You have to figure out how big each AFTD must be, slice them up,
then divvy them out using zoning and LUN masking.  Making them too big
minimizes performance.  Making them too small increases management.
Then when you need more, you have to add more, and you have to
reconfigure your backup environment each time.  You just don't have
these issues with a good VTL/IDT.

Then there's the NW issue that a single backup can't span an AFTD.  (I'm
sure they're working on that one.  Symantec just added this to NBU, so
it's a common problem.)

As to NW's ability to read and write AFTDs simultaneously, it's not
something that really excites me.  It allows you start cloning each
backup as soon as it's done, but you're going to have to script that.
AND, if you make your virtual tapes 100 GB in size, you can fill one up
in 30-60 mins with a transfer rate of 50-100 MB/s.  So you have to wait
an hour before starting to clone each tape -- I don't see how that's
going to impact anybody.  If you're asynchronously copying the tapes as
they're filled, then this will cause a 1-hour delay at the beginning,
but nothing the rest of the night.

---
W. Curtis Preston
Backup Blog @ www.backupcentral.com
VP Data Protection, GlassHouse Technologies