Networker

Re: [Networker] new to Virtual Tape Library - what are the benefits?

2007-08-23 12:15:22
Subject: Re: [Networker] new to Virtual Tape Library - what are the benefits?
From: Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 09:12:10 -0700
> Ok. So shoudl i then set my target sessions on the virtual drive to 1
> to ensure that just one saveset goes to each of my 12 virtual tape
> devices?

'target sessions' is just a hint, not a restriction.  There's another
value in recent versions that is a restriction, but I don't recall the
name off the top of my head.

You could also limit parallelism on the server to 12 as well.  In
combination with 'target sessions' 1, then then that should spread them
out.

If your clients, backup server, and VTL all have more throughput
available even when 12 sessions are going, then it may extend your
backup window.  You may want to create more virtual tape devices.  But
that's something you'll have to measure (and if your window is dominated
by one or two long-running jobs, then more parallelism may not have any
effect on the overall window).