Networker

Re: [Networker] new to Virtual Tape Library - what are the benefits?

2007-08-23 11:49:50
Subject: Re: [Networker] new to Virtual Tape Library - what are the benefits?
From: mark wragge <mark_t_wragge AT YAHOO DOT IE>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 16:46:54 +0100
Ok. So shoudl i then set my target sessions on the virtual drive to 1 to ensure
that just one saveset goes to each of my 12 virtual tape devices?

Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM> wrote:
  > One thing i am still unsure of is if it is possible to multistream
> to a virtual tape device. Is the target sessions setting on the
> virtual tape device relevant and will it accept more than one stream
> at a time?

Sure. Multiplexing data streams onto a single device is part of the
backup software doings, not an ability of the drive itself.

The question is, why would you want to?

The usual reason to multiplex onto a drive is that tape drives are
expensive so you can't buy as many as you need, and they perform better
at the top end of their bandwidth so you'd rather have multiple slow
clients feeding one drive.

This shouldn't be as true for VTLs. Most will let you create more
virtual devices inexpensively, and since you're feeding a disk, it
should react well when fed data at any speed. This gives you the
advantage of segregating your data before restore. In just about any
situation I can think of, you would not want to multiplex onto virtual
tape volumes.
--
Darren Dunham ddunham AT taos DOT com