Networker

Re: [Networker] Trying to reuse tapes with auto media management into many pools.

2007-08-20 16:31:38
Subject: Re: [Networker] Trying to reuse tapes with auto media management into many pools.
From: E Gold <egold AT FSA DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2007 16:26:23 -0400
Yes these are default pool tapes and some were written pre 7.3.2 (notice
the nice dots).

Are there any other options then besides what I am doing now?

Each of these tapes is cloned to a clone pool, that is why I want to erase
them.

Currently I just relabel them into the pools I use, which is a pain since I
have 6 pools and invariably forget to have enough in each pool.

I want to have them blanked out so that automedia management will do all
the work for me.

Davina Treiber <Davina.Treiber AT PeeVRo.co DOT uk> wrote on 08/20/2007 04:11:58
PM:

> E Gold wrote:
>
> > I have hundreds of old tapes with that are not set to expire for years.
> > want to erase and reuse them in my jukebox.
> >
> > I run legato 732 and automedia management enabled.
>
> Auto Media Management is irrelevant in this scenario since these are
> already labelled.
>
> N.B. There is no such thing as Legato 732. At this version the product
> is called EMC NetWorker 7.3.2. The next version is called EMC NetWorker
> 7.2 SP3.
>
> > How can I tell legato to erase and reuse these tapes with auto media
> > management?
>
> You can't. Auto Media Management does not do this. NetWorker can do this
> but not using Auto Media Management.
>
> > I would like to just load in the old tapes and have automedia
management
> > erase and reuse them into the pools as needed.
>
> Auto Media Management will not do this. NetWorker can do this but not
> using Auto Media Management.
>
> > I have tried relabeling them to the default pool, but then my clone
pools
> > don't have tapes.
>
> Mark them all as recyclable (easy with a simple script), set the pool
> they are in to "Recycle to other pools", and set the pools you want to
> use them in to "Recycle from other pools". If either of the pools
> concerned is the Default pool you won't be able to set this up, but
> marking Default tapes as recyclable will allow them to be re-used in the
> Default pool anyway.
>
> Warning: If these tapes are clones or have clones, the above action is
> very much not what you want. I _think_ that marking one clone recyclable
> will mark all clones as recyclable if the tapes were written pre 7.3. I
> may be wrong as I do not know exactly how 7.3 translates the media DB
> from earlier versions.

This e-mail message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and
may contain proprietary, confidential and/or privileged information. Any
unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.  If you
are not the intended recipient (or an employee or agent responsible to
deliver it to the intended recipient), you may not copy or deliver this
message to anyone. In such case, you should destroy this message and kindly
notify the sender by reply e-mail.