Networker

Re: [Networker] Speaking of logging...

2007-08-14 18:12:21
Subject: Re: [Networker] Speaking of logging...
From: dfields <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2007 15:08:43 -0700
Sorry, misread your post.

Yes, the current way that the client does logging is going to make system and
backup admin more difficult.  Because of the way that it does logging now,
there's going to be a lot of garbage in the log files that networker writes to.
 for the life of me, I can't think of a good reason for them to make this kind
of change.  All they've done is potentially broken alot of people scripts.
I've been reading several posts where alot of the things that they've done in
recent releases are breaking things (and I know from first hand experience
also).

BSD system used to have a way to filter facilities so that you could separate
logs based on tags, but the Linux version of syslog doesn't do that.  I haven't
a reason to learn syslog-ng yet, but I think that this issue with networker is
going to force me to.

Dave