Networker

Re: [Networker] Networker 7.4 Savegroup Notifications Truncated to 270 Characters

2007-08-12 01:44:01
Subject: Re: [Networker] Networker 7.4 Savegroup Notifications Truncated to 270 Characters
From: Jonathan Loran <jloran AT SSL.BERKELEY DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2007 22:41:29 -0700
Yeah, I've a ticket open to see if we can get a fix. I think they screwed up, and made the output buffer a fixed 270 bytes long for these notifications. Any idea how to roll back our indexes? I think we may loose a weeks worth of backup. Darn.

Thanks,

Jon

Preston de Guise wrote:
Hi Jonathan,

I'm new to this list, though hardly new to Networker.  Been using it for
12 or so years now.  Have many custom scripts, etc.

Just installed 7.4.  May have been a mistake.  It looked good on
testing, but now we find the savegroup notifications are truncated at
270 characters.  we recharge our backup service, and use these
notifications to parse out client backup volumes etc. pump them into a
mysql database.  This is now totally broken with the truncated reports.
Anyone else seen this?  if so, anyone seen a workaround?  May have to
roll back to 7.3.2(3?)

I encountered the same thing; I had to briefly run up 7.4 to test some items
relating to licensing fixes in the 7.4 Client tied with the 4.5 Oracle
module (in short, on 64-bit systems it now asks for a Linux, not Unix module
license); anyway, the savegroup notification for me was always truncated
after around 8 lines, which would come to around the 270 characters you
noticed, given the output I was receiving.

I didn't look too hard at fixing it, but would instead suggest remaining on
the 7.3.x release tree until there's a couple of bug fix releases of 7.4.

Cheers,

Preston.

--

-     _____/     _____/      /           - Jonathan Loran -           -
-    /          /           /                IT Manager               -