Networker

Re: [Networker] Separating Index and Bootstrap Backups

2007-07-26 11:12:28
Subject: Re: [Networker] Separating Index and Bootstrap Backups
From: "Faidherbe, Thierry" <Thierry.Faidherbe AT HP DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 15:08:27 -0000
Tim,

I always create a group (let call in INDEXES_AND_BOOTSTRAP)
where all clients are member of, without any exception.

The server must be member of a normal group (let call
it SERVER_GROUP_ONLY). This group is scheduled by
legato scheduler but the INDEXES_AND_BOOTSTRAP is NOT.

Once a day, when the datazone is less loaded, I schedule
out of networker the savegroup -O INDEXES_AND_BOOTSTRAP
to backup all indexes and bootstrap.

Advantage is that at the end of each group, no tape
is required on the backup server to write client file
index of clients member of the group that is completing.

Another advantage is you have a backup of all at a same time.

Disadvantage is you are on the same tape. So, just take care
both about groups to not go to the same pool, you will not
get both bootstrap on same volumes.

As chery on the cake, you can just clone your tape storing
client file indexes.

For the rest, working like a charm

HTH

Th

Kind regards - Bien cordialement - Vriendelijke groeten,

Thierry FAIDHERBE

HP Services - Storage Division
Tru64 Unix and Legato Enterprise Backup Solutions Consultant

 *********       *********   HEWLETT - PACKARD
 *******    h      *******   -  1 Rue de l'aeronef/Luchtschipstraat
 ******    h        ******      1140 Bruxelles/Brussel/Brussels
 *****    hhhh  pppp *****   -  102 Blv de la Woluwe/Woluwedal
 *****   h  h  p  p  *****      1200 Bruxelles/Brussel/Brussels
 *****  h  h  pppp   *****   -> HP moves as from 20 August 2007
 ******      p      ******      Hermeslaan 1a - B-1831 Diegem
 *******    p      *******      BELGIUM
                                      Phone :    +32 (0)2  / 729.85.42
      I  N  V  E  N  T          Mobile :   +32 (0)498/  94.60.85
                                Fax :      +32 (0)2  / 729.88.30
Enterprise number 0402.220.594  Email/MSN : thierry.faidherbe(at)hp.com

     RPM/RPR Brussels           Internet  : http://www.hp.com/