Networker

Re: [Networker] Networker 7.4 - any experiences

2007-07-19 22:31:54
Subject: Re: [Networker] Networker 7.4 - any experiences
From: Peter Viertel <Peter.Viertel AT MACQUARIE DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 12:27:51 +1000
nsr_render_log has a lot of options thankfully - there's more info, such as
category and severity, and the format is well defined now in the man page.

The per-line view is therefore only a small tweak, but the real issue is
whether we will still see unformatted lines in daemon.log any more that are the
result of some binaries writing random debug messages to STDERR - another issue
to investigate is when we run a script or a binary as a notification and we
take advantage of it's STDOUT and STDERR pointing at daemon log, how will these
work now?

Of course - the developers want us to use syslog - but historically there have
always been more messages in daemon.log than almost anywhere else - anyway, the
upshot is that every line of code will need to be checked.

Here's the startup messages from daemon.raw...  Just as-is first...

42506 1183558982 2 0 0 1 11520 0 isd93 nsrd 9 %s %s: %s 3 0 6 server 0 6 notice
49 14 7324 7 started
10100 1183559066 2 0 0 1 11539 0 isd93 nsrmmdbd 27 media db is checking btrees 0
0 1183559075 2 0 0 1 11520 0 isd93 nsrd 2 %s 1 0 28 @(#) Product:      NetWorker
0 1183559075 2 0 0 1 11520 0 isd93 nsrd 2 %s 1 0 32 @(#) Release:
7.4.Build.187
0 1183559075 2 0 0 1 11520 0 isd93 nsrd 2 %s 1 0 22 @(#) Build number: 187
0 1183559075 2 0 0 1 11520 0 isd93 nsrd 2 %s 1 0 43 @(#) Build date:   Fri Jun
0 1183559075 2 0 0 1 11520 0 isd93 nsrd 2 %s 1 0 28 @(#) Build arch.:  solaris7w
0 1183559075 2 0 0 1 11520 0 isd93 nsrd 2 %s 1 0 53 @(#) Build info:
DBG=0,OPT=-O2 -fno-strict-aliasing
9870 1183559082 2 0 0 1 11539 0 isd93 nsrmmdbd 45 media db is consistency
checking the database 0
9867 1183559082 2 0 0 1 11539 0 isd93 nsrmmdbd 44 Creating new client id
mapping for client:%s 1 12 5 isd93
10106 1183559087 2 0 0 1 11539 0 isd93 nsrmmdbd 29 media db is open for
business 0
9513 1183559088 2 0 0 1 11541 0 isd93 nsrindexd 42 Running nsrck to check
client file indices 0
42506 1183559091 2 0 0 1 11520 0 isd93 nsrd 9 %s %s: %s 3 0 5 index 0 6 notice
49 44 9352 24 checking index for '%s'  1 0 5 isd93
9404 1183559091 2 0 0 1 11544 0 isd93 nsrck 26 %s is missing; re-creating 1 23
25 /zfs/nsr/index/isd93/.nsr

Then, using C locale, and a timezone of Australia/NSW and piping through the
render pipe with args to add a header, and to 'ofuscate', and to strip some of
the crud, the closest I can get is 'nsr_render_log -lzaceptyhm daemon.raw':

TimeStamp ProgramName RenderedMessage

07/05/07 00:23:02  nsrd server notice: started
07/05/07 00:24:26  nsrmmdbd media db is checking btrees
07/05/07 00:24:35  nsrd @(#) Product:      NetWorker
07/05/07 00:24:35  nsrd @(#) Release:      7.4.Build.187
07/05/07 00:24:35  nsrd @(#) Build number: 187
07/05/07 00:24:35  nsrd @(#) Build date:   Fri Jun  8 18:09:58 2007
07/05/07 00:24:35  nsrd @(#) Build arch.:  solaris7w
07/05/07 00:24:35  nsrd @(#) Build info:   DBG=0,OPT=-O2 -fno-strict-aliasing
07/05/07 00:24:42  nsrmmdbd media db is consistency checking the database
07/05/07 00:24:42  nsrmmdbd Creating new client id mapping for client:host1
07/05/07 00:24:47  nsrmmdbd media db is open for business
07/05/07 00:24:48  nsrindexd Running nsrck to check client file indices
07/05/07 00:24:51  nsrd index notice: checking index for 'isd93'
07/05/07 00:24:51  nsrck /zfs/nsr/index/isd93/.nsr is missing; re-creating

Comparing this to startup on my 7.3.2 server, theres still some differences...
 The : after the daemon name,

06/03/07 15:53:57 nsrd: server notice: started
06/03/07 15:53:59 nsrmmdbd: media db is checking btrees
06/03/07 15:53:59 nsrmmdbd: media db is consistency checking the database
06/03/07 15:54:02 nsrmmdbd: media db is open for business
06/03/07 15:54:03 nsrmmgd: Starting nsrmmgd.
06/03/07 15:54:07 nsrd: @(#) Product:      NetWorker
06/03/07 15:54:07 nsrd: @(#) Release:      nw_7_3_2_jumbo.Build.386
06/03/07 15:54:07 nsrd: @(#) Build number: 386
06/03/07 15:54:07 nsrd: @(#) Build date:   Sat Feb 17 12:22:26 2007
06/03/07 15:54:07 nsrd: @(#) Build arch.:  solaris7w
06/03/07 15:54:07 nsrd: @(#) Build info:   DBG=0,OPT=-O2 -fno-strict-aliasing
06/03/07 15:54:07 nsrindexd: Running nsrck to check client file indices