Networker

Re: [Networker] Best upgrade path from 7.1.4?

2007-07-17 08:42:59
Subject: Re: [Networker] Best upgrade path from 7.1.4?
From: Yaron Zabary <yaron AT ARISTO.TAU.AC DOT IL>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 15:39:29 +0300
Manel Rodero wrote:
Hi again,

When you say 7.2.2, is 7.2.2 Jumbo version in the PowerLink? (7.2.Build 494 in the About box)

Which benefits have this little upgrade step from 7.1.4? Knowing that support is near its end -one year- is 7.3.2 a good option? (if yes, 7.3.2 or 7.3.2JumboUpdate1?).

   Always take the latest version of the branch, so your options are:

1. 7.2.2Jumbo11 (Build 494). Old-style GUI, generally known to be stable. You will not see much difference from 7.1.4. If it has the features you need and its end of support is far enough, stick with it.

2. 7.3.2Jumbo (Build 386). New-style GUI, got bad reputation at 7.3 and 7.3.1, but should be mature by now and I would probably upgrade later this year (after upgrading the server to Solaris 10). Take that version if you need some features which are not available at 7.2 or once 7.2 is end of support.

3. 7.4 (not sure about the build). I wouldn't touch that for a production system unless there is some (critical) feature which is available only at that version. I would not jeopardize the stability of the backup system for some small improvement. I would start considering this branch at 7.4.1 or 7.4.2.

Anyhow upgrade is easy and can be done in less than an hour, so you shouldn't be afraid to just upgrade to 7.2.2Jumbo11 today and to 7.3.2Jumbo within a week if you are not content. Downgrade, however, is less trivial.

Someone has a good map of features available in each version? (available in one version and not available in another branch of the product).

I guess you could find that info in the marketing pages. Most people around here are conservative and are more interested with the stability of the product (there used to be a few non-conservative backup system administrators around here, but they got fired after consecutive recovery failures).

Sorry if I'm lost with all those versions available for upgrading. I have the idea that it would be better if EMC creates an stable, powerful and realiable backup program than having a lot of branches, patches and versions available for new installations.

Thank you very much again.

--

-- Yaron.