Networker

Re: [Networker] Changing status of a tape device

2007-07-03 10:44:54
Subject: Re: [Networker] Changing status of a tape device
From: Stan Horwitz <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2007 10:35:06 -0400
On Jul 3, 2007, at 10:24 AM, Davina Treiber wrote:

Stan Horwitz wrote:
In NetWorker 7.2.1 on Solaris 9, can anyone think of any tricks to change the status of a tape drive from idle to done without rebooting the NetWorker server or restarting the NetWorker server software.

You should be able to do this by killing the nsrmmd processes. Be careful not to kill nsrmmdbd.

I tried that by using fuser to see which process is accessing the relevant device file, then "kill -9" that process. No other process replaces the killed one when I check fuser again and the device remains in the idle status. I also tried going into nwadmin, selecting the particular device resource, then setting the minor mode to "done" but that has no effect either. I really need to free up four devices that seem to be "stuck" but I can't reboot or restart the nsr processes because we are doing some other backups and right in the middle of a DR audit that requires a lot of data to be recovered from tape, so I don't want to interrupt that activity.