Networker

Re: [Networker] Slow restores with Domino transaction logging

2007-06-25 03:09:31
Subject: Re: [Networker] Slow restores with Domino transaction logging
From: katans <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 04:34:44 -0700
Hi Jeff,

Can you explain me (or send an email) about how you can use incremental backup
based on trans logs? I had read admin guide for NML 3.0 and I succesful run a
backup job for full. When I choise incr, he make a full again.
I edit that conf file but..
I enabled also trans logs in archive mode as is describe in manual.
Can you tell me which save set do you set up for backup and other parameters?

Regarding your problem I saw the same behavior on SQL recovery. When there are
a lot of incrementals it takes too much to rewind tapes. FOr example if you
have 2 incrementals, you can restore data PiT at a specific time between that 2
incr. This it takes too much (hours).
If you have possibility try to use backup to disk and after that migrate to
tapes (staging).

Regards,

Catalin SCARLET
Senior Storage Consultant
STAR STORAGE
8, Dimitrie Pompei Blvd, Feper Bldg, 1st floor
Bucharest, 020337, Romania
Phone: +(40)-21-2421346; ext. 283
Fax: +(40)-21-2421348
Mobile: (40) 743.354452
E-mail: catalin.scarlet AT star-group DOT ro
Web: www.star-storage.ro