Networker

Re: [Networker] 15 person Office in Italy - Legato setup inquiry

2007-06-18 10:59:34
Subject: Re: [Networker] 15 person Office in Italy - Legato setup inquiry
From: Ty Young <Phillip_Young AT I2 DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 09:56:01 -0500
Patrick:

WRT your questions below, see my comments prefaced by "TY:" ....

1. I assume we will require an Auto-Changer license (or not since it's a
single drive)?

TY:   no.  You will not need an auto-changer license unless the unit
they're installing is an autochanger or jukebox.  If it's just a standalone
drive, you're all set.

2. A NetWorker Module for Exchange?

TY:  I am not an Exchange expert but I believe this is a required piece for
backing up Exchange servers reliably, yes.

3. Four Networker Client connections?

TY:  that sounds about right, but keep in mind that you will need a
NetWorker server license of some 'flavor' (or edition) too, and that most
(if not all) come with a pre-set number of included client connections (for
example, the Power and Network editions come with 10 client connections
built-in.)

4. There is no UNIX / Oracle, etc.

TY:  good, that simplifies things considerably.

(BTW, I renumbered your questions below for clarity...)

5.   Is the proposal to run Networker off of their Main App and Fax Server
recommended?

TY:  I would recommend putting NetWorker on something that's likely to stay
up the most of all of your Windows boxes, so in this case I think my
recommendation would be either the DC or the fileserver.

6 . With a single tape drive, would everything have to go to a single
pool, and if not, I presume we would need someone to swap tapes out.

TY:   no.  The Default pool (comes pre-configured with NetWorker) can
handle Manual, Full and Incremental backups if I'm not mistaken.   For this
size of installation, I'd be inclined to just run with that.

HTH,
-ty

Phillip T. ("Ty") Young, DMA
Manager, Data Center and Backup/Recovery Services
Information Services
i2 Technologies, Inc.

             "Howard, Patrick"
             <Patrick_Howard@A
             NNTAYLOR.COM>                                              To
             Sent by: EMC              NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU

             NetWorker                                                  cc
             discussion
             <NETWORKER@LISTSE                                     Subject
             RV.TEMPLE.EDU>            [Networker] 15 person Office in
                                       Italy - Legato setup inquiry

             06/18/2007 09:48
             AM

             Please respond to
               EMC NetWorker
                discussion
             <NETWORKER@LISTSE
              RV.TEMPLE.EDU>;
             Please respond to
             "Howard, Patrick"
             <Patrick_Howard@A
               NNTAYLOR.COM>

Greetings,

We currently have a remote office in Italy.  Our NT Team is installing a
LTO3 Tape drive on one of the 4 new servers that are getting installed,
whereby they want us to "architect" a Legato solution.

Server 1: Exchange
Server 2: Domain Controller
Server 3: App Server - Fax Server
Server 4: File-Print Server.

The App Server / Fax Server is where they propose we install Legato.  I
have a few questions that hopefully someone can give me facts, and /or
experiences with this.

1. I assume we will require an Auto-Changer license (or not since it's a
single drive)?
2. A NetWorker Module for Exchange?
3. Four Networker Client connections?
4. There is no UNIX / Oracle, etc.

1. Is the proposal to run Networker off of their Main App and Fax Server
recommended?
2. With a single tape drive, would everything have to go to a single
pool, and if not, I presume we would need someone to swap tapes out.

The amount of data in total should easily fit on a single LTO3 drive, at
least that is what has been told to me.  As with everything that seems
to come to us, it's late in the implementation that we are tasked with
performing this work, but would like to have as much insight to this as
possible.  For all of our other "small" remote offices, they have always
just done local backups, I think using Veritas, and Legato was not used.

Patrick S. Howard
Ann Taylor
476 Wheelers Farm Road
Milford, CT 06460
(203) 283-8772 direct
(646) 660-0426 mobile
(203) 878-3836 fax
patrick_howard AT anntaylor DOT com
www.anntaylor.com <http://www.anntaylor.com/>

The information in this email (including any attachments) is confidential
and may be legally privileged. Access to this e-mail by anyone other than
the intended addressee is unauthorized. If you are not the intended
recipient of this message, any review, disclosure, copying, distribution,
retention, or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it
(including any attachments) is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you are
not the intended recipient, please reply to or forward a copy of this
message to the sender and delete the message, all attachments, and any
copies thereof from your system and destroy any printout thereof.

type