Networker

Re: [Networker] 7.3.2 level of stability as of June 2007?

2007-06-14 12:37:25
Subject: Re: [Networker] 7.3.2 level of stability as of June 2007?
From: Stan Horwitz <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 12:36:38 -0400
On Jun 14, 2007, at 11:06 AM, Ty Young wrote:

Hi list,

I've read through the postings but haven't seen anything real recently
about the stability of 7.3.2 as of 6/2007. It looks like Jumbo Update 1 came out not too long ago, according to PowerLink, so I'm wondering if this (7.3.2, with Jumbo Update 1 applied) is finally a stable version to which I
could consider upgrading.

Currently I'm enjoying a generally hassle-free administration task of a NetWorker 7.2.1 (Solaris) server and over 400 Win32, Win64 and various Unix clients of over 25 TB per week, so I'm not in a huge hurry to update ...

I find that its best to avoid fixing things that aren't broken. If you and your management are happy with your current NetWorker infrastructure, there's no need to rush toward upgrading it.

For better or worse, I am not in that situation. I am also on 7.2.1 (on Solaris 9). I need to use some 7.3.2 features such as the VSS client for Windows 2003 and some other new features, which I have been waiting for since 7.3 came out. We are due to do a big hardware upgrade this summer, so I figured I should upgrade our NetWorker server and storage node software at least a month prior to the hardware upgrades, so that's what I will be doing on June 20th.