Networker

Re: [Networker] Fwd: Server Room

2007-06-14 11:57:55
Subject: Re: [Networker] Fwd: Server Room
From: Brian Gardner <gadget5129 AT HOTMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 08:54:35 -0700
I do agree that much of this is outside the scope of the NetWorker
alias.However, I wonder if the implied question is if NetWorker can be used to
help? If this is the case, the answer is "yes, within limits". NetWorker
gathers information about hostnames, file systems and a few other things for
clients that have been configured for backup and recovery. There are ways this
information can be used to give you an idea of how things are configured in the
NetWorker data zone. Applications such as Wysdm (recently mentioned on this
list) take advantage of this to deliver powerful reporting and analysis
capabilities.If this is your real question, could you please be just a little
more specific so we can figure out how to help you?> Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007
15:49:40 +0100> From: DavinaTreiber AT PEEVRO.CO DOT UK> Subject: Re:
[Networker] Fwd: Server Room> To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU> > I
don't think this is really a suitable subject for the NetWorker list. > It is
not directly related to NetWorker or backups. Please choose your > distribution
more carefully in future.> > > Elvis Ademba wrote:> > ---------- Forwarded
message ----------> > From: Elvis Ademba <kingelvo AT gmail DOT com>> > Date:
Jun 14, 2007 3:17 PM> > Subject: Server Room> > To: cisspforum AT yahoogroups
DOT com, sarbanes-oxley <> > sarbanes-oxley AT share.isaca DOT org>, cismstudy
AT yahoogroups DOT com, IT-governance> > list <it-governance AT share.isaca DOT
org>, info-sec-manager list <> > info-sec-manager AT share.isaca DOT org>,
cobit-l AT share.isaca DOT org> >> > Dear All,> >> > I have been tasked with
and put in charge of the server room.> > i would like some usefull advice or
good poiters on where to start. > > Since i> > have to start from Scratch.> >
Policies etc.> >> > *Background.*> > The sever room is secured and well
protected and monitored.> >> > the issue is that everybody once inside the
server room does what they > > can> > do.> >> > Servers are not labelled and
most have no documentation (or its > > obsolete) so> > sometimes you never know
whats running untill you get hold of the > > individual> > who works on or
monitors the server and no documentation has been done of> > late.> >> >
because of lack of discipline (i guess) etc.... cables are not well > >
labelled> > sometimes not labelled. (This is a big one - i need to overhaul it>
> thouroughly)> > I am not sure if i will use color coding, etc to indicate
diffreent ip> > segments and backup segments etc.> >> > I think I have to strat
with to establish RULES and REGULATIONS, and> > continue with the exercise
since all our servers are real-time online.> >> > I WELCOME ANY IDEAS and
HELP.> > To sign off this list, send email to listserv AT listserv.temple DOT
edu and type "signoff networker" in the body of the email. Please write to
http://listserv.temple.edu/archives/networker.html or> via RSS at