Networker

Re: [Networker] Control M & Networker

2007-06-14 08:36:25
Subject: Re: [Networker] Control M & Networker
From: Conrad Macina <conrad.macina AT PFIZER DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 08:32:35 -0400
> What happens if i use savegrp -c to backup a client indenpendently of
> group start time, will the group hang when he detects it's already
> running ?

"Hang" isn't the right word, but the group will refuse to run. At the
autostart time you'll see a message like this in the daemon.log file:
06/13/07 20:30:00 nsrd: savegroup alert: Group <groupname> aborted, savegrp
is already running

> Any one out there using external schedulars and thier experiances ?

Using the scheduler to start the savegroup, not the individual client, works
very well. Any errors are reported via the scheduler in addition to the
NetWorker logs. Scheduler errors are usually more apparent and easier for
people to react to (although I have no experience with Control M).

> Will i lose any Networker reporting capabilities if i use external
> schedular ?

You shouldn't (see comment above about my lack of knowledge with Control M),
as long as you have the scheduler do what NetWorker would do with its
internal scheduler. If you run the savegroup on the server side you'll get
all the savegroup reporting.

> What do other networker admins usually do, i.e do you use savegrp as a
> whole or do you backup indivedual clients with the schedular ?

It's probably a good idea to back up the savegroup as a whole. Savegroups
are cheap; they're not licensed separately. So if you need to run a client
by itself, just create a savegroup with only that client in it.

> I Plan to have two scripts eventually for Daily & MonthEnd backups.
> savegrp -r2 -v -l incr -e "month" -G PROD >
D:\Scripts\LOGS\Backup_Groups_Logs\PRODD.txt 2>&1
> did i miss any parameter ?

Looks pretty complete to me. Of course, savegrp has many other options and
you can use them as needed.

Conrad Macina
Pfizer, Inc.

On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 09:08:18 -0400, Fazil Saiyed <fazil.saiyed AT ANIXTER DOT