Networker

[Networker] 7.3.x on FreeBSD

2007-06-13 12:21:28
Subject: [Networker] 7.3.x on FreeBSD
From: David Johnson <davidj AT ICSI.BERKELEY DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 09:15:19 -0700

    dfields> Somewhat back "on-topic", has anyone tried to use the
    dfields> Networker Linux client on FreeBSD using FreeBSD's Linux
    dfields> emulation mode?  I've thought about trying it, but we're
    dfields> moving our few remaining FreeBSD boxes over to Linux, so
    dfields> it's not been worth the time to test it out.  Dave

We're doing this, including on some FreeBSD 4 hosts (which required a
fix in the kernel compatibility layer - I can dig that out if you
want).  The Feral 6.0.x FreeBSD client failed for us when we moved to
7.3.x on the server, which forced us to do this.  From my (possibly
slightly out of date) notes:

 - create a tar file of the backup software on a RHEL4 machine based
   running version 7.2 (cf 7.3, which is what we're running on the server.
   7.3 may also work but I didn't try it).  This tar file includes an
   appropriate /nsr/res/servers file to allow the ICSI servers access.
 - fix the firewall on the FreeBSD machine appropriately
 - hack and rebuild the kernel to support the new Linux exit() system call
   (FreeBSD 4 only)
 - Link /usr/compat/linux/proc/mtab to /usr/compat/linux/etc/mtab
   (FreeBSD 6 only)
 - Periodically created /usr/compat/linux/etc/mtab using "/sbin/mount
   -p" (FreeBSD 4 only)
 - Fix the startup scripts to run "/usr/sbin/nsrexecd" at startup
 - Reboot to start everything up (or run "/usr/sbin/nsrexecd" as root).

I'm not sure how much of the gui stuff works - we've tested restores
using the command line and it seemed to be fine.  I'm also not sure
that we've had to do any hard-core, real-world restores with this yet,
so there may be hidden issues!

Cheers,

David.
--
David Johnson, davidj AT ICSI.Berkeley DOT EDU, (510) 666-2983
System Manager, International Computer Science Institute

    dfields>
    dfields> |This was sent by david.fields AT acs-inc DOT com via Backup
    dfields> Central.  |Forward SPAM to abuse AT backupcentral DOT com.
    dfields>

    dfields> To sign off this list, send email to
    dfields> listserv AT listserv.temple DOT edu and type "signoff networker"
    dfields> in the body of the email. Please write to
    dfields> networker-request AT listserv.temple DOT edu if you have any
    dfields> problems with this list. You can access the archives at
    dfields> http://listserv.temple.edu/archives/networker.html or via
    dfields> RSS at
    dfields> http://listserv.temple.edu/cgi-bin/wa?RSS&L=NETWORKER