Networker

Re: [Networker] LTO tape labels - L2 vs L3 suffix

2007-06-13 08:47:52
Subject: Re: [Networker] LTO tape labels - L2 vs L3 suffix
From: "Brian O'Neill" <oneill AT OINC DOT NET>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 08:45:27 -0400
We are getting the correct labels from Quantum.

There is no problem with the existing BBH tapes - only one actually got used, and the contents (a clone set) are suspect due to an I/O error on the drive anyways. So I marked them all suspect and re-ran my clone set on the proper tapes again. I'll delete all the BBH tapes from the media index once I've got them fully removed from the library. To be safe, I marked the tapes read-only until we can pull them.

Conrad Macina wrote:
I agree that you're probably best off with the correct labels. If you do
this, however, NetWorker will insist on reading every tape you put in the
library, because the tape it formerly knew as BBH001L3 will now be seen as
BBH001L2.

It will read the tape and recognize the header, so you won't lose any data.
Until you relabel, though, the "Bar code" will be different from the "Volume".

I'm not familiar with the Quantum PX502, but it may have an option somewhere
in its menu system to drop the suffix when communicating with NetWorker.
Again, if you do this NetWorker will reread all the existing tapes.

Conrad Macina
Pfizer, Inc.

On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 10:01:59 -0600, Ken Gehring <ken.gehring AT GMAIL DOT COM>