Networker

Re: [Networker] Performance tuning

2007-06-06 17:16:59
Subject: Re: [Networker] Performance tuning
From: Barton <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2007 18:40:29 -0700
most of these shm & ipc parameters are dynamic in Solaris 10. The defaults for
Solaris 8 & 9 were ridiculously small! shminfo_shmmax is the the largest single
shared memory segment that can be created, generally just set this to physical
memory (if an app wants more than this, or it just can't be provided the app
will just not run)

Large shared memory segments are most often used for database applications and
are specified within the app.  I don't believe Networker itself requires large
amount of shared memory, though it can't hurt to change params to more
reasonable settings...

Of course memory tuning, filesystem tuning etc will benefit performance,
however from ny experience the biggest gains are to be had with multiple data
streams. Get the server working hard to load that fibre!