Networker

Re: [Networker] LTO-4

2007-05-23 20:17:20
Subject: Re: [Networker] LTO-4
From: Peter Viertel <Peter.Viertel AT MACQUARIE DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 10:14:08 +1000
I note that EMC are spruiking 7.4 on powerlink....and probably singing
it's praises at EMC World...    How does 7.3.3 and 7.4 relate to each
other - is 7.4 another 'upgrade', or is it a rename of what the techo's
are calling 7.3.3?

Here's the announcement:

NetWorker V7.4 Announcement

NetWorker V7.4 features are designed to simplify management with
localization and provide increased ease-of-use across multi-locale
operations, smooth customer support communications, centralize software
distribution, and simplify licensing to improve the buying and
installation process.

NetWorker V7.4 provides the following capabilities:
*       Internationalization (I18N) functionality, which enables
multi-locale support and is especially useful for companies that use
NetWorker in many countries.
*       Localization for Japanese, simplified and traditional Chinese,
Korean, and French, which allows these countries to use the latest
functionality of NetWorker with user interface, product documentation,
and customer support messages in their native language.
In addition to internationalization and localization, NetWorker V7.4
continues the improvements in product ease-of-use and centralized
management introduced with NetWorker V7.3:
*       Centralized software distribution to further enable central
administration through distribution of patches and updates to NetWorker
V7.3.x and higher clients.
*       Additional flexibility within the Web-based graphical NetWorker
Management Console to include drag-and-drop between resource types, copy
function for tabular information, copy function for groups with clients,
and the ability to perform operations on multiple devices and slots
simultaneously.
*       Recovery workflow improvements include a facelift for the UNIX
recovery interface, the ability to initiate multiple saveset recovers
from the graphical user interface (GUI) and to read simultaneously from
multiple volumes during recovery, an option to save the output of a
recover session to a file for tracking recovery jobs, and the ability to
cancel recovered operations.
*       Inactive File Report provides a view of inactive Windows-based
files inside backups.
*       Simplified licensing for customers using NetWorker with virtual
tape libraries, NAS/NDMP, Dedicated NetWorker Storage Nodes, and for
NetWorker Silo and Autochanger options.

NetWorker Module for Oracle V4.5

NetWorker provides protection for individual applications through
NetWorker Modules, allowing hot backups that allow organizations to meet
data protection requirements while meeting the availability demands of
critical business applications. The NetWorker Module for Oracle V4.5
provides the following features:
*       Wizards to improve recovery with Oracle Recovery Manager
*       Intelligent application staging to simplify moving Oracle data
from disk to secondary media
*       Support for encryption (256-bit)
*       Internationalization and localization for Japanese
For more information contact your EMC representative.