Networker

Re: [Networker] VMWare ESX VI 3.0 Questions

2007-05-14 11:13:58
Subject: Re: [Networker] VMWare ESX VI 3.0 Questions
From: Ben McBeen <ben.mcbeen AT PLUMASBANK DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 08:10:55 -0700
Avoid Veritas like the plague. Licensing would be the LEAST of your worries.

Ken Gehring wrote:
Only the first 2 will work. # won't due to the fact that Legato does
not and will not support the vmfs 3 file system. The forth choice is
to use vcBmounter on the ESX server to back up the instances using
savepnpc. This is the approach we are looking at taking. It's a bit of
a pain, but it does look like it will work.

It was suggested that you might not need more client licenses for
backing up vmware instances, but that is not the case (confirmed with
Legato Licensing). Every client needs a license. Rumor has it the
Veritas doesn't have this limitation and we are also looking at it
too.

Trust EMC to figure out ways to get more money out of us.

Ken