Networker

Re: [Networker] large messages file

2007-05-12 08:36:00
Subject: Re: [Networker] large messages file
From: Nancy Magers <nmagers AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 12 May 2007 08:33:32 -0400
I setup a seperate startup script that runs the unix standard logrotator
command.  Run this script before Networker startup.

/etc/rc2.d/S78networker-logrotate

more /etc/init.d/networker-logrotate
#!/bin/sh
#(echo 'rotating NetWorker Messages:') > /dev/console
#if [ -f /usr/local/sbin/logrotate ]; then
#        (/usr/local/sbin/logrotate /opt/local/etc/networker-
logrotate.conf; /bi
n/sleep 15) > /dev/console 2>&1
#        (echo 'rotated Networker Messages') > /dev/console
#fi

This is what my logrotator.conf for networker looks like
# sample logrotate configuration file
daily
rotate 21
create
compress
missingok

/nsr/logs/messages {
    olddir /nsr/logs/OLD
    prerotate
        /etc/init.d/networker stop
    endscript
}

I like this approach for a couple reasons.

1.  I can tell by looking at the dates of the rotated messages files when
my server was rebooted.

2.  Networker writes to the messages file through the syslog daemon and I
know the syslog daemon has been restarted at boot.

Why hasn't EMC/Legato provided a built in log rotation of the messages
file yet?  This has been a problem for many, many, years.

Nancy Magers
Brown University - CIS