Networker

Re: [Networker] Backups status not finishing

2007-05-11 00:19:50
Subject: Re: [Networker] Backups status not finishing
From: Peter Viertel <Peter.Viertel AT MACQUARIE DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 9 May 2007 15:57:54 +1000
What is happening probably is that the client is making a tcp connection
back to the backup server which then sits idle until the backup is
finished.   If a saveset takes longer to backup than the usual firewall
default tcp seesion timeout that session will be dropped by the firewall
and the success of the backup will not be communicated to the savegroup
process...

There are two approaches to solving this:

1. increase default TCP sesssion timeout on the firewall to be long
enough.

2. reduce the tcp_keepalive interval on the backup server to be less
than the TCP session timout on the firewall..