Networker

Re: [Networker] NSR server processes die due to license issues (Solaris)

2007-05-11 00:14:43
Subject: Re: [Networker] NSR server processes die due to license issues (Solaris)
From: Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 9 May 2007 12:52:15 -0700
> As it turns out, if I wait long enough, typically 45 minutes to an
> hour, nsrindexd and nsrmmdbd eventually start and things look normal
> enough. However, I cannot figure out why they're taking that long to
> start. No relevant log entries, etc. It's not that those two daemons
> are spawned early and chug for a while; they just don't launch at all
> until much later. Apparently nsrd just isn't spawning them until after
> a long while... ??

So what is nsrd doing int he meantime?  I would truss it and see what
output was generated.  Any patterns?  Waiting/sleeping, or reading a
file or something?

> I've been told by Sun that the "approved" method is to mmrecov and go
> from there, which indeed is a good method. However, last time I did
> that (during a server upgrade) it took a couple of hours at least to
> recover the GBs of indexes after running mmrecov, despite Sun's
> assertion that it only takes 10 or 15 minutes. We're looking at a
> finite number of contiguous hours for a test in which this procedure
> will be used, so several hours of index recovery is not a viable
> option. Hence my interest in making this previously good procedure
> work.

'mmrecov' shouldn't recover the file indexes in general, just the media
database.  If you've got your local copy of /nsr already, you don't need
to go on to file index recovery.

Did the 'mmrecov' step take a couple of hours, or was that the file
indexes afterward?