Networker

Re: [Networker] Immediate Error notification before save set finishes

2007-05-10 23:53:14
Subject: Re: [Networker] Immediate Error notification before save set finishes
From: "Patterson, Charles P." <Charles.Patterson AT TUFTS DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 15:21:37 -0400
There is a switch for 'save' which will fail the backup for a particular
client if an error is encountered.

Here is the section of the man page for save:

     -u   Stop the save if an error occurs.    The  save  program
          normally  treats  errors  as  warnings and continues to
          save the rest of the files in the  backup.   When  this
          option is set, errors will cause save to exit and abort
          the save.  This option is not recommended  for  general
          use,  although  it  can be useful when a group of files
          needs to be backed up as a set.

In the client you could configure the 'Backup Command' to read 'save -n'
and the client should fail immediately once an error is encountered.

I have to admit I haven't tried this myself.  Also it could be
irritating if the backup is nearly complete for the large saveset you
have described.