Networker

Re: [Networker] Unique save set name problem finally solved?

2007-05-08 13:09:54
Subject: Re: [Networker] Unique save set name problem finally solved?
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 8 May 2007 13:06:47 -0400
Darren Dunham wrote:
Is anyone actually seeing "unique" save set names reported from mminfo? If so, that would surprise me because even normal file backups will only generate whatever save set name is listed, right? After all, what else should it list? Of course, that can be changed using '-N' if run from the CLI, but I'm talking about via nwadmin. And I don't know any other way to get the Oracle backups to run other than to list the RMAN script name in the save set field for the client, and if we do that, we can't very well expect anything other than that name to
get reported by mminfo.

One last option if you really wanted to try this...  Does the nsrnmo (or
whatever agent you're using) also take a '-N' flag like 'save' does?  If
so, you might be able to chain execute it.

Interesting idea. We are using nsrnmo, and according to the man page, it does support the save options

nsrnmo <save options>.

As such, I guess I could create a wrapper script (/usr/sbin/nsr_test) that calls the one we have been using (/usr/sbin/nsrnmo_level1_test). I notice when I use the existing one, and I run a backup, I see the following running
on the Oracle client:

/bin/sh /usr/sbin/nsrnmo_level1_test -s server_name -g group_name -LL -m client_name -t 1178573804 -l incr -q -W 78 -N path2RMANscript path2RMANscript

So, we would just need to change the value following the '-N' as you suggested. However, it's going to be a bit involved getting the correct time value. If we do it the way we've been doing it then NW figures it out and passes all the correct parameters. If we create the wrapper script and specify that instead then we're going to have to explicitly call the nsrnmo script (nsrnmo_level1_test) with all the expected parameters; otherwise,
it bombs with the "nsrnmostart returned status of 255" message.

Most of those parameters are trivial and could be hard coded, but the time value? The wrapper script would have to figure out what that should be which I assume would be the time value reported for the last save set run from mminfo? Furthermore, what ever custom name we supply via '-N', this will be the name for all save sets as reported by mminfo, so that's not really any better than what we're getting now. I mean, having mminfo report a different name for the control file versus the data files might be nice, but everything gets launched once the rman script is called, so unless we split out the backup of the control file into its own rman script then its save set will have the same name, at least as far as what mminfo reports. nsrinfo, however, would still report the names are mandated by the format command. Does this inference sound correct? :-\

Anyway, I guess all of this is unnecessary since the rman script name indicates the level, and we can see the unique names from the nsrinfo command. Also, as others have commented, you use RMAN for everything anyway, and NW figures it out. I guess I was overly complicating it. :-(

George
Put a new script in the 'backup command' for the client.  That script
would need some smarts to be able to figure out what you want to display
(perhaps based on backup level).  Then it would fire off nsrnmo, passing
in all the command line parameters but adding in an additional '-N' and
a string.

If the agent doesn't take the -N flag, then none of this works.

Given you have a solution for reading this from the file index rather
than the media database, this might not be worthwhile.

Good Luck!

--
George Sinclair - NOAA/NESDIS/National Oceanographic Data Center
SSMC3 4th Floor Rm 4145       | Voice: (301) 713-3284 x210