Networker

Re: [Networker] Saveset Recovery using RMAN

2007-05-03 20:00:29
Subject: Re: [Networker] Saveset Recovery using RMAN
From: Curtis Preston <cpreston AT GLASSHOUSE DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 3 May 2007 19:57:23 -0400
That is correct.  RMAN will request a certain string.  If NW doesn't
know where that string is (which I'm assuming is kept in the browse
information), then it's not going to know where to get it from.

This means there's no reason to have your browse and retention periods
set different on Oracle backups.  Unlike file backups, the browse
information takes up NO space, so there's no penalty for leaving it in
there.  There's only a penalty (which it sounds like you're
experiencing) for letting it expire.

---
W. Curtis Preston
Author of O'Reilly's Backup & Recovery and Using SANs and NAS
VP Data Protection
GlassHouse Technologies