Networker

Re: [Networker] Pro's and Con's of NDMP

2007-03-28 18:05:15
Subject: Re: [Networker] Pro's and Con's of NDMP
From: Siobhán Ellis <siobhanellis AT HOTMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 08:01:44 +1100
Basic question I'd have is why do the Windows people want to do a NAS box?
It's a major pain in the arse to backup well. They often end up being
multiple terabytes and they don't really have a good way to back any of them
up. Netapp has done some cool things, with SnapVault, but wont co-operate
with EMC so NetWorker does not integrate to it, and EMC's Celerra just does
not have good backup capabilities for high density file systems. With
Celerra you can backup to a in built VTL, but then you still need to move it
to tape, or you can backup across the network, but not good when you go over
about 500GB. Let's not even start talking about multi-national character
sets!

My advice? Ask them what they think the benefit is.

Siobhan

On 29/3/07 8:24 AM, "Bonfoey, Rich - Tacoma"
<Rich.Bonfoey AT THENEWSTRIBUNE DOT COM> wrote:

> Hello
>

> I was wonder if I could get some feed back on NDMP.  We have 2 networker
> servers ( both running 7.3.2 )  on Solaris 9 boxes.  We backup mostly
> Solaris client and about  dozen windows servers.  Windows people want to
> do a NAS and use NDMP to back it up.  I had heard in older version of
> Networker ( 6.x.x versions ) that there were some issues with NDMP ( one
> you could not relocate to another file system ).  Do some of these
> problems still exist or has it got better ?  I don't fell I can really
> trust EMS's literature so I thought I would ask the group and get the
> real story
>

> Thanks
>

> Richard L Bonfoey
>
> Solaris Systems Administrator