Networker

Re: [Networker] Benchmarking restores from Legato

2007-03-27 12:48:15
Subject: Re: [Networker] Benchmarking restores from Legato
From: Howard Martin <howard.martin AT EDS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 12:32:26 -0400
If you are trying to see what is acting as a bottlneck in a restore and we
are talking Solris then it might be worth trying :-
on the storage node recover some of the data to /tmp (memory) this will
show the best speed you can expect to get from your tape drive. highlights
the effects of interleaving.
repeat to /tmp on the client, shows the effect of the network/client speed
not including disks.
repeat to dosk on client, shows the effect of the disk/filesystem.
I don't know if theere is an equivalent or substitute on wintel servers
and this won't work if your client and storage nodes are different OSes.
Could be a case to raise a RFE for the reverse of bigasm.