Networker

Re: [Networker] How to bypass a removed tape?

2007-03-19 14:10:24
Subject: Re: [Networker] How to bypass a removed tape?
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 14:04:28 -0400
Thanks. Here's what I ended up doing yesterday to resolve this issue. First, I identified all the save set ids for the subsequent incrementals that ran to the usual nightly pool and were also backed up prior to the test pool. There were not that many save sets and none of these was that large but to reiterate, there were 2 sets: The first ones ran before I could remove that test pool volume, and the second I manually ran after I had removed the volume. And no, I don't know why I did that since that just made things worse, but whatever....

I then ran 'nsrmm -d -S ssid' for each one of those save sets to remove the information from both the media database and the affected client indexes. This put the indexes back to where they had been before I backed up anything to that test pool or rather, the part of the indexes that had this information for those particular NSR client resource. I then reran the incrementals. I knew these would not take that long to run since these incrementals are usually not that big. The numbers all looked good. Of course, in most cases, more data was captured this time than would have been otherwise since those subsequent index entries had been removed with the nsrmm command.

This was simply the most expeditious method I could think of to solve this issue. Now, if it had been more than just a day or so, I may have used a different solution, but typically most hosts skip backups on weekends, so this didn't put us behind
by an unacceptable amount.

Here are some other things I considered:

1. Run a level full or numeric on the affected save sets.

This would have worked but has the disadvantage in that it would have taken longer than I had time to mess with and those previous incrementals might still be dependent on the volume I removed, so it's still always possible someone could try to use those, not knowing to use the full or numeric instead, unless, of course, you remove those save sets,
but then why not just do what I did.

2. Go to the affected clients and run manual incrementals and specify a time before the subsequent incrementals were
run and just after the ones were run to the test pool.

I see no reason this would not have worked, but you still might have the dependency problem noted above.

3. Maybe same as 2 but do this from the server by specifying the group name?

4. Recover an older version of the client index from before the backups to the test pool were run.

Getting the index off tape would be reasonably quick, but the problem is that once the index is recovered, NetWorker then begins that long process of all the goofy assimilation and meta merging or whatever it does which can take a long time on a big index. Actually, come to think of it, I could have just removed the client index all together and recovered the last copy, but then it has to get the previous full and merge, and oh, .... not worth it in this case.