Networker

Re: [Networker] Block size for LTO-3 drives

2007-03-16 06:54:48
Subject: Re: [Networker] Block size for LTO-3 drives
From: Davina Treiber <DavinaTreiber AT PEEVRO.CO DOT UK>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 10:49:31 +0000
George Sinclair wrote:

We recently added four LTO-3 drives to our tape library, and we still have two older LTO-1 drives in there, too. I played around with loading and recovering some data from an older LTO-1 tape in all of 6 drives. No problems.

One thing I notice is that NetWorker used to report a Volume block size of 64 KB for this field (nwadmin->Media->Devices) once an LTO-1 tape was loaded in one of the LTO-1 drives and continued to report that as the block size for the given device ever after. Now, I notice that it reports 128 KB for the new LTO-3 drives until I load an older LTO-1 tape in which case it changes to 64 KB, and then after ejecting the tape, it reports 128 KB again for the device. For the older LTO-1 drives, it remains at 64 KB. I've not labeled an LTO-3 tape yet in the new LTO-3 drives, but I suspect it will report those as 128 KB.

Our SDLT drives always reported 128 KB - both the newer SDLT-600 drives and the older SDLT-220 drives. I always thought it was interesting that NetWorker used this higher block size on the SDLT drives but only half that on the LTO-1 drives. Now, it appears that the LTO-3s are getting a better shake? Anybody know the scoop on this? Will this make reads and writes faster and more efficient? Is there some reason it was set to
64 KB for LTO-1? Can this be changed or should it be?

I've never mucked around with it but just asking. We've always declared blocksize=0 in our /etc/stinit.def file for all drive definitions which I thought was what NetWorker liked and allowed for variable block size. Hmm ...

George,

In theory there will be an optimum block size for different devices in each environment. You could do tests to see which block size works best for you, but to be honest I doubt that it is worth the trouble. In the past I ran tests on LTO-1 drives in a SAN environment and found that 128KB or 256KB was slightly better than the NetWorker default of 64KB, but this may have been due to the latency caused by having a SAN involved.

It is interesting to note that Legato/EMC have chosen 128KB for LTO-3, after sticking with 64KB for LTO-1 and LTO-2, although I don't think there is a great deal of science behind these decisions. As an example the DLT7000 was defined as a 128KB block size, whereas the DEC TZ89 (same physical device) was defined as 96KB - explain that.

In many environments it is more convenient to have a standard 64KB block size for interoperability purposes. If you mix Unix and Windows storage nodes you will find that many Windows SCSI cards or fibre HBAs will have a limit of 64KB block size in their drivers. This can be changed by changing registry settings in many (not all) cases but it is a considerable hassle to do so.

If you really need to wring the last bit of performance from your drives, then go ahead and find the optimum block size for each drive type in your environment, this is of course assuming that you don't already have some other bottleneck in your network or disk subsystems. If you want an easy life, just leave things as they are, since these new LTO-2 and LTO-3 drives are already so damn fast.

Declaring blocksize=0 (variable) in your stinit.def is correct. NetWorker defines the block size at a higher level and would not be able to correctly do this if you misconfigured your stinit.def.

Davina.