Networker

Re: [Networker] Red Hat ES 4 tape driver

2007-03-15 03:07:23
Subject: Re: [Networker] Red Hat ES 4 tape driver
From: Ronny Egner <Ronny.Egner AT SIV DOT DE>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 08:01:49 +0100
Librado Pamintuan schrieb:
Hello to all,
We just recently upgraded from RH ES 3 to RH ES 4 using a Dell PowerEdge 2850
server. Our tape library is an ADIC Scala 100 with 2x IBM LTO-2 Ultrium tape
drives. Somehow after the upgrade, when I issue nsrjb commands and inquire, it
will take at least 5 minutes before it starts doing anything. On the previous
version I was advised to use the IBM Tape driver for the tape drives, but with
the new O/S here is what Tech. Support wants me to do (obviously they don't
know anything about the Legato binaries, so I will just ignore that part).
Any comment or suggestions is greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance,

Librado Pamintuan
Technical Support Analyst II
Information Systems Div.
Operations Group
City of Regina

Phone:          (306) 777-7573
General Fax: (306) 777-6804
eFax:             (306) 546-6002
eMail:            lpamintuan AT regina DOT ca

Red Hat Global Support Services <noreply AT redhat DOT com> 13/Mar/2007 10:28:05 am

---------------------------------------
|  Case Information  |
---------------------------------------
Case Title       : missing devices RHEL 4
Case Number      : 1336376
Case Open Date   : 12-MAR-2007
Problem Type     :
Last Update Comment as of 13-MAR-2007 12:28:05 : After taking a look at your sysreport, it looks like you still have all of the tape stuff install:

IBMtape
lgtoman
lgtoclnt
lgtonode
lgtoserv
lgtodrvr

You will need to remove all of these, reboot, and let anaconda rescan.  To
access your tape library, you will need to install the mtx package (up2date
mtx) and use the mtx command to handle which drive is being controlled.

Patrick Connelly
RHCE
---------------------------------------

Thank you for your latest interaction with Red Hat Support. If you wish to
reach Red Hat, please go to  http://support.redhat.com/ for phone and web
contact information appropriate to your region and support contract.

Red Hat Global Support Services is working a case associated to this email address as the primary
point of contact. For tracking purposes, the case has been assigned a number of
"1336376"  and has the title "missing devices RHEL 4" . More information
related to this specific case is attached to this message. If any of this is in error, please
notify us immediately by calling our support line at the number specific to your region see
https://www.redhat.com/support/service/GSS_phone.html

The purpose of this email is to notify you that the status of this case has transitioned
to "Waiting On Customer" This means that the Red Hat associate working on this
case may need more information from you in order to continue working on your case. Its
critical that you please reply in a timely manner via the web portal at
http://support.redhat.com.

If you update the case via the web portal (such as adding a note or adding an
attachment), the case status will change back to "Waiting on Red Hat" and the
Red Hat systems will route the case back to the Red Hat associate working on your case.

Note: Please do not reply to this email. If you wish to reach Red Hat, please
go to http://support.redhat.com for phone and web contact information
appropriate to your region and support contract.

Thank you so much and have a great day.

Red Hat Global Support Services

DISCLAIMER: The information transmitted is intended only
for the addressee and may contain confidential,
proprietary and/or privileged material. Any
unauthorized review, distribution or other use
of or the taking of any action in reliance upon
this information is prohibited. If you received
this in error, please contact the sender and
delete or destroy this message and any copies.

Hi,

In general *only* Networker 7.3.x is certified for Kernel
2.6 (i.e. SLES9, RedHat 4, and so on). I assume you are not using
Networker 7.3.x.

For Networker other than 7.3.x Dag Nygren wrote:

If you take a look at the st-driver you will see that if the open() is not
done with the flag O_NONBLOCK the driver will block for ST_BLOCK_SECONDS.

The easiest way to change this is to always add the O_NONBLOCK
flag to the open() call. In other words add a line with:

filp->f_flags |= O_NONBLOCK;

immediately at the start of the st_open() function.

[...]

In another post:

More info on this:

I just ran into a Suse installation myself and also noticed that Novell has
seen the timeout as a problem as they have patched the driver themselves. There is
an extra option to the st module that will achive the same thing called:
blocking_open.

In other words the problem can be fixed (in Suse only) by adding the
optionline:
options st buffer_kbs=256 max_sg_segs=128 blocking_open=0

to /etc/modprobe.conf.

--> From my point of view this might be a point to look at.

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Ronny Egner
Diplom-Ingenieur (BA)
Systeme & Service
Oracle DBA

Telefon: +49 381 2524-422
Telefax: +49 381 2524-399

mailto:ronny.egner AT siv DOT de
http://www.siv.de

SIV.AG - Service für Informationsverarbeitung AG
Hauptsitz: Konrad-Zuse-Str. 1, 18184 Roggentin
Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Rostock, HRB 8677, Ust.-IdNr.: DE 137477226
Vorstand: Jörg Sinnig (Vorsitzender), Andreas Lehmann, Arno Weichbrodt
Aufsichtsratsvorsitzender: Peter Gronemeier
Aus Rechtsgründen ist die in dieser E-Mail gegebene Information nicht
rechtsverbindlich. Eine rechtsverbindliche Bestätigung reichen wir Ihnen auf Anforderung in schriftlicher Form nach. Diese Nachricht ist ausschließlich für den
bezeichneten Adressaten oder dessen Vertreter bestimmt.

The information contained in this email is not legally binding. At your request, we will provide you with a legally binding confirmation in written form. This
message is intended solely for the addressee, entity to which the email
is addressed or the authorised agent.