Networker

Re: [Networker] Autochanger module license question?

2007-03-14 16:20:49
Subject: Re: [Networker] Autochanger module license question?
From: Attila Mester <Attila.Mester AT SUN DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 21:14:18 +0100
Hi George,
as Todd A. Willeat wrote in a previous mail, the library would report the usable slot number, you can not reduce it on your own. There are libraries like the StoragteTek SL500 modular library where you (e.g. the STK technician) can fine-tune the reported slot number. It means, if you purchase two modules, let say ending up with 132 slots, it would be possible to reduce the usable slots to 128 which allows you to use a 128 slot autochanger license.
regards  -attila

Attila Mester                           5 Digit Sun internal: x62534
Data Protection Architect                  Tel: (+49 89) 46 008 2534
Sun Microsystems GmbH                      Fax: (+49 89) 46 008 2583
Sonnenallee 1                                Mobil: +49 172 812 5947
85551 Heimstetten / Germany              mail: attila.mester AT sun DOT com

George Sinclair wrote:
Hi,

Does an Autochanger Module license have to cover all the slots that a given tape library has or does it only
have to cover what you want to use?

For example, if I buy a stackable library system, and maybe I have a total of 200 slots between all the units, could I purchase a 128 slot license if I was willing to live with only being able to use slots 1-128 or will NetWorker see that the library really has 200 slots and then complain that the license is insufficient
to cover it?

We are looking at stackable libraries. Some of these would come with all the slots and others would require the purchase of a license key from the hardware vendor in order to activate all of them. Either way, I want to be covered under Legato, but these autochanger module licenses are expensive, and I suspect Legato will not let
you purchase an add-on module to increase the count.

George