Networker

[Networker] Persistent problem backing up Exchange

2007-01-30 11:35:27
Subject: [Networker] Persistent problem backing up Exchange
From: Stan Horwitz <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 11:16:37 -0500
I am confronted with a problem backing up an Exchange 2003 server where the first (and largest) of four IS storage groups consistently fails and the next largest storage group fails intermittently. I have a call with EMC open and I have been looking at this issue for a week.

We are pretty sure there is some sort of network issue at work here, but our network administrator is at a loss as to what it could be.

This Exchange server consists of two Microsoft cluster nodes (Windows 2003) and this server has been in production since July. IS backups have been intermittently failing, but since about ten days ago, the largest storage group won't back up at all, except once when I tried it last week.

There is nothing too illuminating in the event logs or on the logs in /nsr/applogs either, except for a consistently occurring network error. When the backup starts, it quickly gets to a very fast throughput and I have tried doing backups at a variety of different times. The largest storage group is probably pretty small compared to some Exchange shops. Its around 80GB and there are only around 200 users on this server.

I tried putting in an NSR_KEEPALIVE_WAIT environment variable with a value of 30 on both cluster nodes. I also tried putting in a keepalilvewait TCP/IP variable in the registry on both nodes. Neither made a difference.

The event logs show backup failures, but nothing before or after the failed events is consistent. We do run Symanteck's Anti-virus software on this server, but we tried disabling and running a backup, but that backup also failed so we enabled the a-v software again.

I am a Unix and Mac guy, so Windows 2003 is not my strong suit and the Exchange administrator here is inexperienced with it. We are learning by the seat of our pants about this server. This cluster and Exchange server was set up by Microsoft Professional Services and I set up the backups with assistance from EMC's tech support.

The hardware consists of a pair of Dell blades and GB ethernet. The Dell ethernet card driver does not have any options to change how flow control is set, and EMC suggested we try using full flow control on it. This is the latest driver that Dell offers and I am not even sure that's our path to success.

If anyone has any ideas on anything I might have overlooked on how I can solve this problem, please let me know.