Networker

Re: [Networker] Savepnpc oddity

2007-01-26 10:27:01
Subject: Re: [Networker] Savepnpc oddity
From: Davina Treiber <DavinaTreiber AT PEEVRO.CO DOT UK>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 14:39:45 +0000
Davina Treiber wrote:

Krishnan, Ramamurthy wrote:

We are using NetWorker 7.2.2 (Build 422) on a Solaris 9 backup server
and NetWorker 7.2.2   with Jumbo Patch) on a Windows 2003 SP1 Storage
Node.

- We have a client with 5 individual savesets specified in it for
backup.
- We use "savepnpc" to backup these savesets as we have to do some
pre/post backup stuff
- This is the ONLY client in a group.
- The pre-backup script called from the "Group_name.res" file sends an
email on a failure within the script.

The oddity, is that we receive 10 emails if the group fails.  This, I
believe counts to 2 attemtps (Group Retries) x 5 savesets. It appears the savepnpc script is called once for each saveset (very
much like a pre-backup script).  However, the NetWorker documentation
clearly states that savepnpc calls the script only once before backup. Is this an expected behaviour? Is there anyway we get around this?

Perfectly normal. If the pre-script succeeds it only runs once per client. If it fails it will run again for each save sets until it succeeds or it runs out of save sets.

I should add that if you wanted to force the backup to run even though the pre-script failed, all you need to do is ensure that the pre-script exits with a return code 0 in all cases.