Networker

Re: [Networker] Advice on backup strategy for Oracle RMAN backups?

2007-01-19 06:29:33
Subject: Re: [Networker] Advice on backup strategy for Oracle RMAN backups?
From: Uwe Weber <uwe.weber AT TELEOS-WEB DOT DE>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 12:25:08 +0100
George Sinclair schrieb:
> How do you recover the NetWorker save set onto disk? We'd like to try
> pointing RMAN at the recovered disk area to resore it, but we ran
> mminfo to get
> the ssid for the affected save set (contains the control file), but
> when we ran recover, we received a cross
> platform error as follows:

I think that I have done this with a saveset that only contained
the cf, but I may be mistaken. But anyway, you can configure
RMAN to send the controlfile autobackups to disk, where they
can be backed up by Networker as a normal file. This should
solve all your problems with picking an older cf as well.

> # recover -d /oracle_test -s server_name -S ssid
> Recovering files within RMAN:\oracle10.2\oracle10.2\SCRIPTS\ into
> /oracle_test
> recover: Permission denied by server server_name: Cross platform
> recovery not supported
> recover: Warning: Could not change working directory to  to remove
> relocate directory /oracle_test

Because of the backslashes in the saveset name this looks like
you are restoring a Windows saveset to an Unix machine. And it does
not look like a RMAN saveset either cause the scriptname itself is
missing, it should be something like RMAN:/opt/oracle/admin/myorcl \
/scripts/fullbackup.rman

> Is it the case that because RMAN was used to back up the original
> save set, you can't then use a normal conventional recover
> to recover it?

AFAIK not for datafiles, so I think that I did this with a cf,
but maybe I  am mistaken here, I will have to test this
again.

> I understand that you have 7 days you can go back, and adjusting the
> MAXDAYS parameter would allow
> it to be able to go back farther, but it will still take the first cf
> it can find. We want to be able to tell it
> to take the one before that, or the one before that, etc. So, if
> there was a bad spot on the tape, for example,
> and NetWorker still thought everything was OK, we'd be able to move
> it back one at a time until it worked.

As far as I understand this mechanism RMAN should try
to get an older cf backuppiece if it can not read the first one.
So if there was a bad spot on tape, RMAN should correct this
problem automatically.

But you can always backup the cf via RMAN to disk
and then save and recover it with Networker.

Regards,
uwe