Networker

Re: [Networker] Can you use saveset recover for an RMAN saveset createdwith NMO?

2007-01-19 05:19:59
Subject: Re: [Networker] Can you use saveset recover for an RMAN saveset createdwith NMO?
From: Davina Treiber <DavinaTreiber AT PEEVRO.CO DOT UK>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 10:12:35 +0000
Bhaskar Mylavarapu wrote:

Interesting idea. BUT, OK, Let's suppose that you set up a file type device
on the primary backup server, and then you label that into a clone pool
and then you clone the desired save set from original tape to the primary
backup server's local disk. All well and fine, but now, how are you going to
get RMAN recover from the Oracle client to see that disk area? Assuming
that this disk/directory could not be NFS exported to the Oracle client, or vice versa, how would you do it? Could you copy it there and then point the RMAN
restore at that?

The recovery would still need to be done via NetWorker - not directly from the disk. It would still be in NetWorker format. This is why the answer to the original question is "Not possible under any circumstances". So NFS mounting the disk device to a client would be like a broken pencil - pointless.

I'm not aware that a client can create file type devices, only backup server?

Although this point is irrelevant - yes a client can have a file type device attached, BUT only if you upgrade it to a storage node - in which case it's no longer just a client.

Bhaskar

Curtis Preston wrote:

The only thing I can think of doing is cloning your tape backup to disk.
Then RMAN can recover it via that.

---
W. Curtis Preston
Author of O'Reilly's Backup & Recovery and Using SANs and NAS
VP Data Protection
GlassHouse Technologies